Tuesday 17 May 2011

MAY LONG WEEKEND RECIPES

As promised here are two of my favourite dip recipes. The first one is a bit more indulgent and the other is healthier but so good if no one was looking, I'd lick the bowl.

Hearts of Palm Dip (Say what? You'll find them near canned artichokes)


1 (15oz)  Can Hearts of Palm
1 Cup     Mozzarella, shredded
1/2 Cup  Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup     Green onions, chopped
1/4 Cup  Sour Cream
3/4 Cup  Mayo (I always use light but if you want to indulge, go ahead, I promise not to look)


Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease pie plate. Drain and chop hearts of palm. In a medium bowl mix everything together. Spread into a pie plate. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, or until light brown and bubbly. 


Recipe from http://allrecipes.com/


I have microwaved this when short on time, but the oven is nice.




White Bean Dip with Pine Nuts


I will prepare you for the cost of Pine Nuts so you don't faint in line or gasp loudly drawing unneeded attention to yourself. I bought about 1/2 cup the other day and they cost me $5.00 CND. They are truly worth it! Another Choice almonds, pistachios.....

2 TBSP pine nuts
2 TSP   fresh basil, chopped
1 TSP   fresh oregano, chopped
1 Cup   Great Northern Beans ( I often sub in Navy beans, a little easier to find)
2 cloves garlic
1 TSP   lime juice
1 roma tomato, roughly chopped
sea salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 TBSP olive oil

Place the pine nuts, basil and oregano into a food processor. Cover, and pulse 2 or 3 times to finely grind the nuts. Add beans and garlic; process until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour in the lime juice, tomato, salt and pepper, and pulse 2-3 times until mixture is smooth and spreadable. With the food processor running, drizzle the oil into the dip. If mixture becomes too thick, add a TBSP of water at a time until the dip is the right consistency.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight to blend the flavours before serving.

http://allrecipes.com/

I did not add the tomato, it didn't appeal to me. I added more water to substitute for the liquid lost. I also added lemon sea salt and toasted pine nuts in the dip and sprinkled them on top of the dip.

I hope you all enjoy the recipes and like them as much as me! If you love them, you can print your own copy from allrecipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment